Frequently Asked Questions
What is Xto1?
What type of things can I get done on Xto1?
Why should I use Xto1?
Xto1 connects you with skilled professionals in your local community. Whenever you need something done, our network of helpers are at your fingertips.
Xto1 is 100% FREE to use. It’s free to post a request, and we don’t take a cut from the helpers’ hard earned cash. That’s why Xto1 helpers can deliver the work at lower prices than other service providers and platforms. We don’t add our operational costs to your bill!
We aim to make communications easier for you. We understand that selecting a service provider is not as simple as shopping on eBay. So we build an instant messaging tool for you to discuss your requirements with interested helpers, before committing to their services.
No pre-payment required. If you don’t feel comfortable working with the helper, you are free to walk away.
Do I have to pay any service fees?
Who is a helper?
Can I list my service on Xto1?
How should I communicate on Xto1?
- Use our online/in-app instant messaging. This way you can always keep track of your communications and access your chat history on all your devices.
- Contact the user through the contact details (phone, email) they provided. The contact details are accessible from the Request Details/Task Details page.
Please note that, while we are absolutely fine with you taking the communications offline, i.e. using SMS, third party messengers, etc., we cannot help you if someting goes wrong and you didn’t use Xto1 for your communications.
What is Xto1 messaging?
Xto1 provides an instant messaging function that allows you to communicate with another Xto1 user directly, without having to reveal your contact details. By using Xto1 messaging, you can always keep track of your communications and access your chat history on all your devices. All Xto1 helpers have installed the Xto1 app and can receive your messages on their phones instantly.
To use Xto1 messaging, simply go to the relevant request/task details page, find the user you would like to communciate with, and use the Message button next to the user’s profile.
I have problems logging in
I have problems verifying my email address
If you have already clicked the link in the verification email and got successful message in the browser, but your email status in the app is still ‘Not verified’, please log out of the app and log back in again. Your email verification status will update.
If the email verification status still hasn’t updated after taking the actions above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting a Request
How do I find services on Xto1?
Is there a service catalogue?
How do I describe the services I need?
In the same way as you would if you were telling a friend. Just describe what you need in your own words, and provide as much details as possible. The more details you provide, the more likely you will find the most suitable helper quickly.
For example, if you are looking for someone to mow your lawn, provide the size of the lawn and specify if the helper needs to bring their own equipment. Uploading a photo of the lawn would also be helpful.
Do I have to attach images to my request?
Why do I have to provide my postcode?
Should I choose 'Get quotes' or 'Offer fixed price'?
Do I have to provide a phone number?
Am I going to receive a lot of phone calls?
Can I include my contact details in the work description?
Are there any posting requirements on Xto1?
Yes. You need to follow the requirements below.
(a) Your requests must be legal. Soliciting, inducing or encouraging illegal acts are strictly prohibited. Your requests must not be related to weapons, unlawful activities or drugs (including prescription drugs).
(b) Escort or adult services are strictly prohibited. This includes any requests or comments which are obscene or sexually explicit in nature. Any requests that include images that may be interpreted as a hint for escort or adult services will also be removed.
(c) Service advertising requests will not be accepted. We understand that you would like to promote yourself on Xto1. But all the helpers receiving notifications of your requests are people like you. They are looking for work, not services. Spamming other helpers with your service ads won’t help yourself either.
(d) Deceitful requests will not be accepted. For example, if you post a request for people to write good reviews for your services on Xto1, other websites or social media, you are in the wrong place. We can’t help you.
(e) No job board posts. Requests posted looking for jobs or advertising for jobs (other than temporary staff) may be cancelled without notice. There are loads of great job sites out there. It’s simply not for us.
(f) Be clear and specific. Requests posted without a clear description of what you need done may be cancelled or put on hold until further details are provided.
(g) Offer a fair and reasonable price. Requests posted with an unfair or unreasonable price may be cancelled without notice. For example, if you post a request for cleaning a 4-bedroom house and offer a fixed price of £10 in total, or if you offer £100 per hour for house cleaning, we may cancel your request. Any request that offers below the UK minimum hourly wage (i.e. require 2 hours of work for a fixed price of £10 in total) will be cancelled and the user account may be suspended immediately without notice.
(h) Don’t include your contact details in the description of your request. To prevent scam and protect your safety and privacy, we may accept your request but remove your contact details before having it displayed on our platform.
I posted a request. What's next?
- If you are an Xto1 app user, you will receive a push notifications on your mobile. You can start chatting with the helper straightaway via the messaging function in the app.
- If you are an Xto1 web user only, you will receive an email from us. You can call/email the helper if contact details are provided in the email, or use our online messaging tool to contact the helper.
The first helper responding to your request will receive your contact details, as you provided when posting the request. The helper will contact you directly. The second and third helpers responding to your request will not receive your contact details. They will be ‘in the waiting line’. If you are interested, you can contact them in 2 ways:
- Use online/in-app messaging. This way you can have discussions with the helper, before assigning the work to them and revealing your contact details
- Assign the work to the helper you are interested in. This helper will be notified when you assign the work, and will receive your contact details. You will see their contact details (mobile and email) at the same time.
How do I monitor the status of my request?
How many responses can I get for my request?
How do I choose the right helper for my work?
There are many things to consider when choosing a helper. First of all, we recommend you check out the helpers’ profile first, in particular their reviews, number of tasks completed, and verification badges. If you are looking for quotes, the quoted price is obviously an important factor. But in most cases, unless your description of the work required include sufficient details, the helpers would be providing quotes based on assumptions. We suggest you discuss your requirements with the helpers first before making your final decision. Please do take advantage of our free online/in-app messaging tool. With many other websites/platforms, you will not be able to communicate directly with the helpers before making a payment (or before the helpers are charged a fee). By not charging this fee, and facilitating communciations, we are hoping to make it easier and quicker for you to find the most suitable helper.
What is an 'Active' helper?
Why some helpers don't receive my contact details?
Do I have to assign the work to a helper?
How do I assign the work to another helper?
How do I edit my request?
How do I delete my request?
How do I pay the helper?
How do I leave a review for the helper?
To leave a review for the helper, please follow the steps below:
1. First, you need to confirm the helper has completed the work. To do this, please log into your account on the Xto1 website or app, go to My Requests section, and open the request page. In this page, you will find all the helpers that have responded to your request.
- If the helper who has completed the job is the first helper listed on this page, you wil see a “Complete” button next to the helper’s profile. Please use this button to confirm completion of the job by this helper.
- If the helper who has completed the job is not the first helper listed on this page – in other words, you haven’t assigned the task to this helper on the system – please use the “Assign” button next to the helper’s profile to assign the task to the helper first. Then the page will refresh, and you will now see a “Complete” button next to the helper’s profile. Please use the “Complete” button to confirm completion of the job by this helper.
2. As soon as you confirm job completion, in the next page, you will be asked to leave a review for the helper.
Can I repost a request?
What should I do if my helper cancels?
You may assign the work to another helper that is in the waiting line. If you haven’t received any response from other helpers, and the only helper who responded to your request cancelled, you just have to wait for responses from other helpers. If none of the 3 helpers responding to your request can do the work (which is quite unlikely), you may repost your request and get more responses.
Please note that last minute cancellation or no show is not acceptable on Xto1. If your helper cancels without notice or with only last minute notice, please let us know by contacting email@example.com.
What should I do if no one responds to my request?
This rarely happens. It might have been caused by various reasons.
If no one responds to your request within 24 hours, we suggest you review your request and consider cancelling your existing request and reposting with some changes.
Scope – Is your description clear? Adding more information and perhaps a couple of images will help to clarify your requirements, and allow the helpers to better assess whether they can do the work.
Price – Have you offered a fair price? It’s important to set a fair price for the amount of time and effort required to deliver the work. While we do block any request with radically low budget, we might have let your request through if we thought it had a chance of being accepted, but the market might have proved it unacceptable at the end.
Time – Does it have to be done at a specific time (i.e. 7am tomorrow morning)? If you do have a bit more flexibility with time, it may significantly increase your chance of finding a suitable helper.
Safety & Compliance
Are the helpers vetted?
All the helpers on Xto1 have had their email address and mobile number verified, before they are permitted to take the first task.
Helpers that are individuals and have submitted a copy of their ID are granted the ID Badge. Helpers that are registered companies and have submitted a copy of their incorporation certificate are granted the Business Badge. The digital badges are displayed in the helper’s profile page, below their names.
We do not perform DBS checks on the helpers, but some of them do have DBS reports. If this is crucial to you, please feel free to ask the helpers directly.
What is an ID Badge?
The ID badge shows the user is who they say they are.
To apply for the ID badge, the user must
- Change their name in their Xto1 profile to be consistent with the name in the ID
- Upload a copy of their passport, driving licence or government issued ID through the Xto1 app
What is a Business Badge?
The Business Badge shows the user is a registered company.
To apply for the Business Badge, the user must
- Change their name in their Xto1 profile to be the name of the company, consistent with the name in their company’s incorporation certificate
- Upload a copy of their company’s incorporation certificate through the Xto1 app – We only accept companies incorporated in the UK.
What is a Public Liability Insurance Badge?
The Public Liability Insurance Badge shows the user has a valid public liability insurance for the work they are doing. A copy of their insurance certificate will be available if you click on their Public Liability Insurance Badge, and you can check the scope their insurance. The Public Liability Insurance Badge will be valid until the expiry date of their insurance certificate, after which they will have to apply for the badge again, submitting their renewed insurance certificate.
To apply for the Public Liability Insurance Badge, the user must
- Hold an ID badge or Business badge
- The name of the insured person or entity in the insurance certificate must be consistent with the name in their ID/company incorporation certificate submitted
- Upload a copy of their public liability insurance certificate
Where can I see a user's digital badge(s)?
Safety tips for requesters
1. Prioritise helpers with digital badges. While having a digital badge is not a 100% guarantee of safety, it does demonstrate the user’s seriousness and commitment to build their profile and deliver work in the area for the long term.
2. Don’t be afraid of asking the helpers for ID, references, proof of qualifications, etc. Professional workers wouldn’t mind, as they often have to provide such evidence to other customers and platforms.
3. Don’t be afraid of asking the helpers if they have done this type of work before, and how much experience they have in this field.
4. Don’t make full payment to the helper until the work is successfully completed.
5. Where you hand over your home keys to the helper to get the work done, don’t make full payment to the helper until the keys are returned.
6. We encourage you to use Xto1 online/in-app messaging to communicate with the helper. In case of any issues, the communication is evidenced, and you can always access the full chat history from any devices.
7. If at any point of time, before, during or after delivery of the work, you feel unsafe with the helper, you should call the police. Report any risks and concerns to us, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as soon as possible.
Safety tips for helpers
1. Make sure someone knows when you go to deliver a task, including the address and the expected duration of the work, especially if the work is carried out in the requester’s private property.
2. Take the full payment immediately upon successful completion of the work.
3. If you have to hold the keys to the requester’s property or vehicle, return the keys as soon as possible upon completion of the work. This protects you from potential liabilities, in the event of incidents involving unauthorised access to their property.
4. We encourage you to use Xto1 online/in-app messaging to communicate with the helper. In case of any issues, the communication is evidenced, and you can always access the full chat history from any devices.
5. If at any point of time, before, during or after delivery of the work, you feel unsafe with the requester, you should call the police. Report any risks and concerns to us, by email to email@example.com, as soon as possible.
Why has my request been cancelled?
- Service advertising or job board posts are strictly prohibited. For example, if the request is “I’m looking for a job”, we will cancel the request without notice.
- The price offered is illegal. For example, if the request is “I’m looking for a cleaner for 3 hours cleaning and I will pay £20 in total”, the price offered is below UK minimum wage and is therefore illegal. We will cancel such requests without notice.
- If the request is ambiguous, we will contact you to seek clarification and further information. If we do not hear from you within 5 working days, we will cancel the request.
Why has my request been edited?
Your request may be moderated for many reasons. We may even correct your typos if we feel the typos will affect the helpers’ understanding of your requirements. When we edit your request, we use our best efforts to make sure it is presented in language that better reflects your needs.
If you are unhappy with our edit or feel we have misunderstood your intention, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I do if the helper doesn't respond after accepting my request?
This is unacceptable. Please report the helper by email to email@example.com. In the meantime, you may assign the task to another helper.
How do I block a user from messaging me?
How do I report a user?
I’m a Helper
How do I become a helper?
What fees do I have to pay as a helper?
Why should I use Xto1?
We created Xto1 simply to make people’s life easier. This includes you as a helper, and the customers looking for services. The key benefits of using Xto1 include:
Free – Xto1 is free to use for both the helpers and the requesters. We understand that you are the one doing the hard work, and we do not wish to charge you simply by connecting you with the customers who are looking for you.
Easy – With Xto1, you can get work and manage your customers on the go from your Xto1 app. We help you to focus your time and efforts on delivering great customer experience, rather than constantly checking websites and emails. When we receive new requests from customers, we send them to you by push notifications to you phone.
Hot leads – We enable you to respond to customer requests within minutes of them posting the request. The leads are hot, and you get a better chance of winning the customers, against your competitors from other sites.
Your customers are yours – We fully recognise the fact that your customers are yours, and we don’t want to be that nasty middle man who states you must never work around us. We encourage you to look after the customers and build your own loyal customer base, and we believe you will also become our ambassador.
Can I browse for work on the Xto1 website?
What type of work can I get?
There is a wide range of work being requested through Xto1. The majority of requests we have received so far are home/garden related services. But it by no means limits the scope of this platform. For more information, please check out popular services people are requesting.
How do I get work?
When we receive new requests from customers local to you and relevant to your profile, we send push notifications to your phone. All you have to do is look at the requests carefully, respond to the ones that you can do – you really have to be quick, they disappear quickly – and contact the customers immediately if you are the lucky first helper responding to the request. If you are not the first responder, which means you will not receive the customer’s contact details immediately, don’t be discouraged. The customer may contact you by in-app messages. You will get a notification when new messages are received. The customer may also assign the task to you directly sometimes without prior communication. Again, you will get a notification when the task is assigned to you.
Please note that being assigned a task doesn’t mean you have definitely got this customer. It will be up to you to actively engage with the customer, offer the customer a good deal, and eventually win the customer. Since we are not taking a cut from your revenue, which means you already have a cost advantage over other competitors, we strongly encourage you to share at least part of the benefit with the customers.
What should I consider before responding to a request?
There are 4 key pieces of information that you must consider carefully before responding to a request. Please bear in mind that, in most cases, there are 2 other Xto1 helpers competing with you on the same request. If you are not a good fit for the request, the chance of you getting the job is very low.
Can you do the work? The requesters would describe the work required in different levels of details. Accept a request only if you truly believe you can do it and has the right tools.
Are you available at the specified time? Where the requester specifies a narrow time slot, it often means they have time constraints and are less willing to discuss alternative time.
Is the customer within your travel distance? While we only send new request notifications to local helpers, we do occassionally see helpers from 30+ miles away trying to compete for the same job. Please take into account your travel time and cost, especially when accepting lower margin small jobs.
Can you do it within the customer’s budget? Where a fixed price is offered, or an indicative budget is included in the request, the requester is unlikely to accept significantly higher prices. If you believe the price offered is unreasonably low, skip the request, don’t accept it and go back with a price that is 5x higher. We monitor the job success rate of each helper. When selecting helpers to send push notifications for new requests, previous success rate is an important factor.
How do I contact the requester?
How do I get paid?
I have successfully delivered the task. What's next?
Why should I care about task completion and reviews?
I've accepted a fixed price request. Can I renegotiate the price?
What should I do if I have to cancel a job?
I would like to become a helper and have registered an account on the Xto1 website. Where can I find customers?
Our services to helpers are operated through the Xto1 mobile app. Registering on the website will not give you access to any customers. Unlike traditional classified ads site, we don’t list any customers or service providers on our website. When we receive requests from customers, we send notifications to relevant helpers through the Xto1 app, and the helpers can only accept requests through the app. You can also browse for open requests in the app.
We usually recommend helpers to register directly in the Xto1 app. But since you have already registered an account on the website, you don’t have to register again. Please follow the steps below.
Step 1 – Download the Xto1 app
The app and our services are FREE. No registration or transaction fees. No hidden charges.
Get it on Google Play Get it on Google Play
Browsing from desktop? Use your phone to scan the QR code below to go direct to the app download page.
Step 2 – Log into your Xto1 account
Log into the app using the email and password you have registered on the website.
Step 3 – Set up notifications
Navigate to the Settings section of the app –> Scroll down to Helper Settings –> select Manage notifications –> switch on Receive new request notifications.
Navigate back to Helper Settings –> select Interested in –> select the types of work you are interested in, and Save when you finish.
Step 4 – Complete email and mobile verifications
Navigate to the Settings section of the app –> scroll down to Helper Settings –> switch on Receive new request notifications –> select Interested in below –> select the types of work you are interested in, and Save when you finish.
Step 5 – Apply for digital badges (optional)
Digital badges demonstrate your trustworthiness and increase your chance of being selected by the customers. Once granted, your digital badges will be displayed in your public profile. To apply for digital badges, navigate to the Settings section of the app –> select My badges –> follow the instructions to upload evidence and submit your application.
My Profile & Settings
How do I update my profile and settings?
How do I control notifications from Xto1?
To update your notification settings from the Xto1 website, simply log into your account, go to My Account –> Settings. In the Manage Notifications section, you’ll be able to customise the types of push notifications and emails you receive Xto1.
To update your notification settings from the Xto1 app, go to the Settings –> Manage notifications. On this page, you’ll be able to customise the types of push notifications and emails you receive Xto1.
Do I have to upload a profile photo?
Are there any requirements on profile photos?
Can I change my email address?
Can I change my mobile number?
How do I apply for digital badges?
How can I see my reviews?
Why is my account suspended?
- 3 strikes and you are out – If, over any 12 consecutive months, a user receives in aggregate 3 complaints from other Xto1 users in relation to their services or interactions with the user, the user account will be permanently suspended;
- Misleading Xto1 – If a user provides false, misleading or inaccurate information during their registration with Xto1, or otherwise to Xto1 employees or agents, the user account will be immediately suspended upon discovery of such breach;
- Misleading customers – If a user provides false, misleading or inaccurate information to another Xto1 user before or during any services, the user account may be temporarily or permanently suspended;
- Agents and intermediaries – If a user acts as an agent or otherwise on behalf of multiple other individuals or entities, the user account may be temporarily or permanently suspended;
- Non-compliant requests – If a user posts one or more requests on Xto1 not in compliance with Xto1 platform rules, the user account may be temporarily or permanently suspended;
- False/misleading quotes – If a user repeatedly submits false or misleading quotes, the user account may be temporarily or permanently suspended;
- Unwanted quotes – If a user repeatedly submits unusually high or unusually low quotes, or submits a high number of quotes without many completed tasks (this means the requests posted on Xto1 are not a good match for the helper’s service offerings), to enable more successful connections made through Xto1, we may decide to suspend such user’s account;
- Poor service quality – If a user repeatedly fails to meet customer expectations, we may suspend such user’s account. It is unlikley we will do this due to one or two customers posting less than favourable feedback (2 stars or less);
- Unfair feedback – If a user repeatedly gives unfair feedback to other Xto1 users, the user account may be temporarily or permanently suspended;
- Others – We may suspend user accounts upon discovery of any other fraudulent or inappropriate activities.
If you believe we have suspended your account by mistake, please contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I delete my account?
We’re sorry to see you go!
Please contact us to delete your account. Please note that once your account is deleted, we will not be able to restore it. You will permanently lose access to all the information about your existing requests and tasks.
Alternatively, you may ask us to deactivate (instead of delete) your account. All the information in your account will be saved but we will not use them for any purpose whatsoever. Just in case you need access to the information again in the future, you may contact us to reactivate the account.
If you just want to stop receiving push notifications or emails from us, you can change this in your notification settings. (No need to delete your account.) To do this, please log into your account on the Xto1 website or app, and go to the Settings page. In the Manage Notifications section, you can switch off the notifications that you are not interested in receiving.